Today we all create blogs in Blogger because of its simplicity. Blogger provides the sub domain. If you want to have your own domain for your blog you have to register a domain from a domain registrar like Bigrock and map it to your Blogger blog. I am using Bigrock domain registration service and it is really great. In this article I am going to explain how to map a domain purchased from Bigrock or a sub domain of that to your Blogger blog. Follow the step by step procedure.
1. After logging in to your Bigrock account you will get the list of orders that means your purchased domains.
2. Click the domain which you want to map to your Blogger blog. You will get the control panel of the domain.
3. Scroll down and find “DNS Management”. Under that there will be a link which is “Manage DNS”. Click that link. You will get the manage records page in a new window. In the horizontal tabs the possible records adding options will be there. To map your domain to your blog you need to add A records and CNAME records.
Mapping a Main Domain (http://www.yourdomain.com)
(Here I use images which are taken when I mapped one of my domains www.tamilpriyan.com to my blog. Now, assume that the domain you purchased from Bigrock is www.yourdomain.com.)
5. Now you have to fill the fields. Leave the “Host Name” field blank as you are adding A records for the main domain. Enter 22.214.171.124 in the “Destination IPv4 Address” field. Leave the default value as it is in the “TTL” field.
6. Similarly follow the above step for three more “Destination IPv4 Address”. They are 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206.
9. Now come to your Blogger Dashboard of the blog. Go to settings->Basic. (For easy navigation leave the domain control panel tab as it is and open the Blogger Dashboard in a new tab.)
13. Sometimes it may show error like below image. Because you need to add another CNAME record which is generated by Blogger to verify your domain. Look at the below image. It shows you need to add Two CNAME records. You have already added the first one. Now you need to add the second one which is generated to verify your domain.
14. Now come to the Bigrock tab and add the second CNAME record- Refer step 8.
15. Come again to the Blogger dashboard tab and click save button. (If Blogger is not accepting the domain and again shows error just wait for some time and then save.)
That is all. Wait some time (normally a few minutes to a few hours. But in the worst case it is a day) for the settings to take effect. After that, your domain will be active and live online.
Mapping a Sub Domain (http://sub.yourdomain.com)
A domain is http://www.yourdomain.com and the sub is http://sub.yourdomain.com. Note www and sub. The domain has www and a sub domain has anything other than www like blog.yourdomain.com, w2w.yourdomain.com and whichever you want. You have to carefully understand that www.sub.yourdomain.com should not work. Only instead of www if you use sub it will work according to this tutorial. That means generally http://sub.yourdomain.com is the sub domain and not the http://www.sub.yourdomain.com (Though we can create it is not appreciated).
Assume the sub domain is sub.yourdomain.com. Here below the steps to map it to your Blogger blogs.
The procedure is same as mapping the main domain. Yet there are some important steps to be altered since it is a sub domain.
If you have already mapped a main domain to a Blogger blog:
In this case you have already done till the step 6. Just do the remaining steps with some alteration as given below.
1. In the step 8, now the Host Name-sub (change to your sub value).
2. In the step 12, the domain is sub.yourdomain.com (Change to your sub domain).
3. In the step 17, you need to uncheck “Redirect yourdomain.com to sub.yourdomain.com” option if it is checked. Why? Because yourdomain.com is the main domain and should be redirected to www.yourdomain.com. If it is redirected to the sub domain you will lose the main domain visitors.
4. Possible errors:
After I mapping the sub domain, the main domain got issues. tamilpriyan.com was not redirecting to www.tamilpriyan.com. It showed an error. When I checked the settings I found that “Redirect tamilpriyan.com to www.tamilpriyan.com” option is unchecked since in sub domain blog “Redirect tamilpriyan.com to test.tamilpriyan.com” is checked. I corrected that error. So ultimately yourdomain.com should be redirected to www.yourdomain.com.
If you have already mapped a main domain to a hosting service and you want to map a sub domain to your Blogger blog:
1. Follow the steps under “Mapping a Main Domain (http://www.yourdomain.com)” till the step 8 except in the step 5 the Host Name value should “sub” (without the double quotes) instead of blank.
2. Then follow the steps which are under “If you have already mapped a main domain to a Blogger blog”.
That is all. Note that you have to wait for few minutes to a few hours for the settings to be activated. To know more about Bigrock click this link.
Never Miss Any Updates, Get Updates Via Mail:
Subscribe! By Submitting your email address: